Letters of Demand

The starting point to recover an outstanding registration payment is a letter of demand.  For a fee of $35 plus GST we can prepare a letter of demand which is specific to each unregistered food premises or other proprietor requesting payment of the outstanding amount and the return of a completed Application for Renewal form.  Our letter will require the outstanding payment, and any additional late payment fees, to be made within 14 days.   All letters will list a central Council contact for the receipt of money and any enquiries which will save you the cost of having a lawyer handle this part of the process. 

If payment has not been received and the person is in contravention of the relevant legislation you can use our 'Unregistered Premises Pro Forma' which will allow you to quickly obtain the necessary information for a Charge and Summons to be prepared for prosecution in the Magistrates' Court.  Talk to us about a fixed fee solution for the prosecution and resolution of these matters.


Environmental Health Officers are responsible for the administration and enforcement of important pieces of legislation to ensure the protection of public health.  We can assist you with:

  • advice on whether a particular situation is a 'nuisance';
  • drafting of Improvement or Prohibition Notices;
  • filing a complaint or commencing a prosecution in the Magistrates' Court to obtain compliance with an Improvement or Prohibition Notice;
  • exercising powers under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008; and
  • unpaid registrations.

In relation to the Food Act 1984 we can assist you with all aspects of the administration and enforcement of the Food Act 1984.  Whether you require advice about a particular aspect of the Act or assistance with the prosecution of a proprietor of a food business, we are able to assist you every step of the way, including:

  • registration of food premises or other premises;
  • exercising powers under the Food Act 1984;
  • notices pursuant to the Food Act 1984;
  • closing food premises; and
  • prosecutions and enforcement under the Food Act 1984. 


Planning Enforcement Officers are responsible for obtaining compliance with planning permits, planning schemes and agreements pursuant to section 173 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.  We can assist you with all aspects of obtaining compliance including appearances at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and Magistrates' Court. 

We understand that sometimes our clients require us to take control of a situation and manage all stakeholders whilst obtaining a resolution quickly and efficiently.  Talk to us about how we can assist you manage a difficult situation in a practical and effective way. 

We can assist you with:

  • enforcing unpaid planning infringements;
  • exercising powers under the Planning and Environment Act 1987;
  • applications for interim and enforcement orders; and
  • prosecutions and enforcement proceedings under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

Domestic animals

The landscape of animal management for Local Government is always changing.  The introduction of 'breed specific legislation' and the rise of organisations seeking to preserve the lives of dogs has seen an increase in litigation in both the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Magistrates' Court and Supreme Court of Victoria. 

Authorised Officers administering and enforcing the Domestic Animals Act 1994 must be aware of their powers under the Act and how to make decisions that are legally correct and beyond challenge.  We can assist you with all aspects of the administration and enforcement of the Act from unpaid registrations, Magistrates' Court prosecutions, dangerous dog declarations and subsequent proceedings in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and Supreme Court of Victoria. 

In addition, we have regularly provided training to Authorised Officers and are available to assist with resolving difficult matters involving domestic animals.  Talk to us about how we can assist you.


We understand the issues surrounding 'prescribed accommodation', building orders and obtaining compliance where orders remain outstanding.  Our experience with prosecutions allow you to access essential information and processes to compile a brief of evidence.

If you have multiple matters going to Court ask us about how we can save you money. 


We can assist you with all aspects of local laws whether you require advice as to the operation of local laws, resolving unpaid infringements, prosecutions or drafting.  Talk to us how we can assist you with:

  • training for Authorised Officers;
  • drafting and enforcing local laws; and
  • prosecutions.


Decision making, the exercise of power and exercising a discretion requires a decision maker to understand the regulatory framework in which that power or discretion resides.  We can assist you to ensure that you are exercising a power properly and  exercising a discretion within the law.   Talk to us about how we can assist you with any aspect of regulatory compliance and governance issues.